On April 14, 2007, I packed up my car and a U-Haul and headed east from Memphis to Raleigh! It was easily one of the best decisions of my life.
Tomorrow will be my fifth anniversary as a North Carolinian. I can’t believe it’s been that long! In honor of this huge milestone, let’s take a quick look at what’s happened since then:
- Worked for NBC 17 for nearly two years — learned a ton and met some incredible folks
- Survived a layoff and changed careers to web project management — where, again, I learned a ton. I even got to work on my dream project!
- Made another major career shift to government communications
- Joined TriSports softball, where I met my husband and best friends; we still play every Sunday
- Became a distance runner again, ran two half-marathons, suffered and recovered from two major injuries, and am now staging my third comeback
- Discovered yoga, which has been a life-changer
- Faced and conquered some interesting medical mysteries (no more Splenda or hazelnuts, boohoo!)
- Explored all things North Carolina: vinegar BBQ, Bojangles, pollen season, crazy (but generally still better than anywhere else) weather, ACC rivalries, the mountains, the beach, etc.
- Lived in two much beloved apartments and bought my first home
- Traveled all over the United States — from Nevada to Massachusetts to Florida — and made three trips to the Caribbean
- Lost both of my amazing grandfathers
- Met, fell in love with, and married my husband! Survived wedding planning, gained a second family, and changed my name.
- Learned a whole heck of a lot and have been the happiest I’ve ever been!
Raleigh has truly treated me well, and I’m thrilled to call it home. Here’s to the next five excellent years!